Sunday, February 1, 2009

Day spent quilting

Well I did get to do what I had wanted. And yes, the house is still a mess. The kids played nicely most of the day with the exception of watching back to back episodes of "I Love Lucy". This was the first time they had seen it and Simon was cackling most of the time.

I managed to piece a lot. Now I am getting ready to iron many blocks. But I took a break to get the kids cleaned up, fed and ready for bed. We have to go to Cinci in the morning for an appointment. So tomorrow is pretty much a loss.

Sydnee got her sewing machine out yesterday and again today. She was so excited to sit down with me to sew. The funny thing was something she said to Simon. Simon had told her that Star Trek (from the early 70's or whenever they first started) was on and that they were allowed to watch these episodes. Her comment back to him was "That's ok, just turn it up and I will listen to it while I keep sewing". That is such a person who likes to do any kind of craft, etc. We have learned to hear with our ears and not have to look up all the time to see. That's how we can multi-task and sit with a bunch of friends and sew to accomplish something. We don't have to be looking up the whole time.
Here she is checking to see that her doo-hickie is in the upper position before she tries to pull her fabric out from under her presser foot.
"Now it's time to cut my thread...."
Notice the mouth being held just right..... I give her a sandwich with lines and curves to sew on. She does very well. So the next step is to start having her following a seam allowance. She has been cutting out a rag quilt. I thought that would be a good place to start since the seam allowance is large and it's very forgiving.

This is her little tape measure she got when she got her sewing machine. She has the little Janome Sew Mini. This machine is wonderful for her. She can lift it easily and it fits right in her tote. She is able to do all of that by herself. It's also the perfect speed and it doesn't clog easily. So the frustration level is low.

No comments:

Post a Comment